Friday, February 7, 2014

5 Tips For Taking Great Pictures of Your Kids when a professional photographer is not around!

I was recently asked to speak to a group of moms about taking pictures of your own children.  I started to think about some of the tips I would give and so I thought I would share a few on here!  Taking pictures of my, now 8 year old twins is really what started my love for photography.  I took so many pictures of them from day 1.  I am not the best at keeping baby books, journaling, etc... so this was my way of marking key moments!  So here are a few tips.

1.  Catch them in the act of doing what they love...  The pictures will look more natural and less forced.

2. Get down to their level... play with them, lay on the floor... they will engage much better and the image will be better!


3.  Choose a clean, low distraction backdrop!  Fireplaces are usually great... or the front of the house.  It's cliche I know, but really works!


4. SHOOT, SHOOT and SHOOT again... Luckily most of us have access to digital cameras.  Kids move a lot and are hard to keep still... the more pictures you take the more likely you are to capture that ONE perfect shot!


5.  Get close.  Close ups are some of my most cherished photos.  I love to see the details in their faces!


I cherish all the pictures I have of my kids... this is a HUGE reason I went into shooting families, children and babies.  I want everyone to have these keepsakes.  Since you can't have a photographer on hand at all times, I think it is important to learn how to capture some of the day to day moments on your own!  So, snap away!  And, when you are ready to have professional pictures of your kids and family taken (mom needs to be in some pictures too), let me know!  I would LOVE to be a part of it!  Even as a professional photographer, Jeff and I make a priority to have our FAMILY pictures taken at least once a year... When Griffin and Grace are grown, I know these family photos will be invaluable!

4 comments:

  1. I love that close up of Grace! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tami. Passing this on to Grant, Season, & Brandon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you out of? If we wanted to book you.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do photo shoots in the Denver/Metro area. I live in Evergreen, but love a lot of different locations, from downtown Denver to the beautiful scenery we have in the mountains! Let me know if you would like to discuss further. My direct number is 303-670-1952 :-)

      Delete